I accept manuscripts in, but not restricted to the areas of history, Christian history, theology and devotionals as well as finance and accounting.
These manuscripts rely heavily on facts and require intense research. The author may need to be sensitive to how the facts are portrayed to certain audiences.
As this manuscript is based on facts it needs to be well-structured to hold your reader’s attention. I will ensure your manuscript flows, chapters are in logical order and focus on the facts.
As I work through your manuscript I check such elements as;
- Sentence flow
- Needless repetition of words / phrases
- Consistency of spelling (BrEnglish vs USEnglish)
- Character details (e.g. are Ron in Chapter 1 and Reg in Chapter 3 the same person)
- Times and dates
- Accuracy of dated items e.g. no mobile phone in 1940s.
I will also check facts, references, that diagrams are referenced correctly and tables are accurate.
Consistency is important. If you start using $1 million for the first four chapters, it is not correct to then use $1 m for the rest of the manuscript. You need to choose one and use it consistently.
This is not an extension of Copyediting, it is a totally different set of skills.
After all editing suggestions have been accepted by the author the manuscript is then checked once more.
Areas I will look at include, but are not restricted to;
- Spelling (things like homonyms – their, they’re)
- Reversed letters (recieved not received)
- Punctuation (missing quotation marks, double spacing, incorrect punctuation)
- Fonts – making sure they are consistent throughout
- Table of Contents – are page numbers and titles consistent with manuscript
- Page numbering
- Ensuring illustrations are correctly labeled, numbered and referenced in the text.